In 1910, the L&N Railroad decided to locate a more direct line between Nashville, TN and Decatur, AL. This line was to cross the Tennessee Alabama state line where Ardmore is now located in 1911, actual construction for the railroad line was begun.
The late Alex Austin of Elkton thought that the railroad company would likely place a station at the point where it crossed the state line, so on a July morning in 1911, he cut out of the wilderness an opening just large enough on the Tennessee side to create a 30’x60’ building. By the time the railroad builders needed supplies, Austin was ready with a well-stocked store.
Soon M.Y. Douthitt and sons erected a cotton gin. A blacksmith’s shop and a small lumber mill were then built, all on the Tennessee side. In the spring of 1913, M.Y. Douthitt and sons and T.M. White and sons each erected a brick store building east of the railroad. H.B. Mangum opened a grocery business. Next a barber shop and another blacksmith shop were all built on the Alabama side. By the time the railroad was completed in 1914, the village of Austin, as it was originally called, was a flourishing community.
The first depot was a box car, located where Austin had conceived it would be. When the depot was first opened, the railroad company called it Ardmore, and that name was taken over by the town. In the fall of 1939, fire destroyed the first store building erected in 1911. An up-to-date hardware store, a grocery store, and a doctor’s office, made of concrete blocks and bricks, were built on that lot immediately.
Ardmore is located in two states and four counties; Giles and Lincoln Counties in Tennessee and Limestone and Madison Counties in Alabama. It has grown from a one-store house built on the Tennessee-Alabama line in 1911 to a thriving town of businesses, banks, factories, churches, and schools today. In 2000, the population was 1,082.